Structural Packaging Designer
We're sorry, but this position has already been filled. Check out our other career opportunities.
Voted Best Place to Work (Small Business) in Hampton Roads in 2011 by Inside Business, and named one of the top 25 small companies in Virginia by Virginia Business, Swimways Corporation is a worldwide manufacturer of leisure and recreational products located in Virginia Beach, VA. We currently have an open position for an Structural Packaging Designer.
Primary Responsibility: You will lead the development of all structural packaging design and development within the Creative Services Department at Swimways, working with a team of graphic designers to support conceptualization, initiation, development and implementation of new and improved existing structural packaging designs, reporting directly to the Director of Creative Services.
The accountabilities of the position are:
- Provide creative input and packaging concepts at product ideation phase, working closely with Director of Creative Services to understand project goals and objectives, and translate them into cost effective structural packaging solutions that elevate the position of our products with our customers and at our consumer channels.
- Develop and produce structural packaging designs that are consistent with the Swimways brand(s) aesthetic.
- Provide Specifications for SwimWays, Kelsyus, COOP and licensed packaging in a format that can be provided to our domestic and overseas vendors for quoting purposes, and working with said vendors to insure the accuracy of received quoted information and confirm through testing that the vendors are adhering to the specified material in production
- Develop and maintain a database of packaging sizes, materials and costs
- Oversee the production of packaging both overseas and domestically working to meet budget and deadline requirements while driving technical and design innovations
- Address and resolve all packaging issues as they relate to the production of packaging
- Perform ongoing right sizing / cube-utilization analysis of all packaging
- Stay up-to-date with packaging industry standards and trends
- College Degree (BS) in Packaging Science or Packaging Engineering; or similar technical degree or industry experience
- 3 + years with a consumer products company in a structural packaging design/development role
- Strong knowledge of packaging materials as it applies to packaging design including clamshells, blister packs, films, labels, corrugated cartons, POP displays, and palletized displays
- Knowledge of packaging equipment and the distribution environment
- Knowledge of ASTM and ISTA testing procedures is a plus
- Understanding of packaging graphics creation and production processes
- Strong Critical thinking and problem solving skills
- Strong Communication and interpersonal skills.
- The ability to be self motivated and work effectively with a team or independently.
- Proficient in MS Office software (e.g. Excel, Word, Power Point, Project )
- Working knowledge of CAD and 3-D design software (such as Solidworks or ArtiosCAD)
- Working knowledge of CAPE systems CAPE PACK
Not only is Swimways a great place to build a career, we also offer competitive salary and great benefits. Qualified applicants may email work samples and resumes with salary requirements to Kim Coats at: email@example.com.