Industrial Design Manager
Swimways Corporation, located in Virginia Beach, VA is a worldwide manufacturer of leisure and recreational products. We currently have an open position for an Industrial Design Manager.
This position will be involved in the overall creation and development of products with emphasis on manufacturing processes, quality, material selection, play pattern, features and aesthetics – ensuring that they meet or exceed the direction of Marketing, Product Integrity and Product Development.
The accountabilities of the position are:
- Handle all aspects of the product design in partnership with Marketing, Product Integrity and Product Development. This includes Manufacturing Processes, Quality, Material Selection, Play Pattern, Features, Aesthetic Details, Color Palette/Colorways, Design/Construction call-outs/Orthographic Drawings – everything that is needed to aid China in the creation of a sample and final product.
- Manage and mentor Product Development with regard to brainstorming and the creation of ideas, development and ideation of ideas, Noting important details and features and specifying manufacturing process and materials and maintaining the design intent and direction in correlation with the marketing strategy.
- Identify new technologies and new materials; identify cost constraints; keep updated by way of internet, publications and peers.
- Manage the product design schedule for freelancers (on an "as needed" basis); Create and maintain a "bullpen" of additional artists and keep Product Development informed ahead of time if it is foreseeable that additional resources are needed to complete workload on time.
- Maintain equipment and order materials as needed - 3D Printer, paint booth, sticker machine, etc.
- Create and maintain an organized database of all creative files both 2D and 3D (ai, jpegs, Solidworks, etc.)
- Must Interface with Marketing, Product Development, Product Integrity and Packaging on a consistent and timely basis.
- Minimum of a 4 year Degree in Mechanical, Product Design Engineering, or Industrial Design
- 8+ years Toy Industry experience
- Must be creative and innovative
- Hand sketching and rendering skills – must be able to communicate through sketches, drawings, etc…
- Must have industry computer software skills such as Photoshop, Illustrator, 3D Solidworks
- Prior management experience in the Toy Industry is a plus
- Experience with manufacturing processes, injection molding, rotational molding, blow molding, extrusion etc.
- Good knowledge of materials, ABS, PE, PP, EPS, XPE, HDPE, LDPE, PU, fabric, soft goods, etc.
In addition, the ideal candidate will have good organizational skills; some Marketing experience; good working knowledge of MS Power point, Excel and Word; knowledge of 3D printing process; knowledge of factory operations – basic understanding of printing processes, etc. in China; the ability to be flexible and welcome change; the ability to excel in a fast paced environment.
Named one of the best places to work in Virginia, Swimways a great place to build a career and we offer competitive pay and great benefits. Qualified applicants may submit resumes with salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org.